The early years are crucial for your child’s holistic development. A quality pre-school education provides children with opportunities to build self-confidence, learn social skills and develop learning dispositions. These build a strong foundation for children’s future learning. Singapore currently has over 1500 Preschool options, from full-day child care centers to kindergartens. With such diverse options, how do you choose the “best” preschool for your child? The key to choosing the right preschool is going into the process prepared. Prepared? Yes, prepared with a solid idea of what you want your child to gain from his or her preschool experience. It is also helpful to know which best fits your lifestyle. Here are a few questions to consider when looking for the right pre-school for your child:
1. Is it important for the preschool to be near my home?
2. Is it important for the preschool to be near my workplace?
3. Is it important for the preschool to offer childcare services in the am/pm?
4. What is the teacher student ratio?
5. What is the maximum class size?
6. What are the operating hours?
7. What are the operating hours?
8. What is a typical day like?
9. What is the fee structure?
10. What is a typical day like?
11. What is the fee structure?
12. How do you give progress report/updates to parents?
13. How frequent is the parent teacher meet up?
14. Is it academic structured or play structured?
15. What play structured is it based on?
16. What type of enrichment classes are offered?
17. Any outdoor activities/excursions? How often?
18. What values do you instill in the children?
19. What is the meal plan like? Are meals and snacks provided?
You can create a checklist from the table above and make it more comprehensive for you. Selecting a Preschool that is a good fit for your child can be exciting as well as overwhelming. But when you know what you are looking for, there’s no need to be overwhelmed by the magnitude of choices!
Number of enrollments are increasing per year as shown in the statistics table below:
Year 2014 2015 May – 16
Total no. of child care centres 1,143 1,256 1,303
Total no. of child care centre places 109,694 123,327 130,366
Total Enrolment 83,928 95,414 98,937
Enrolment in full-day programme 75,518 86,898 90,509
Preschool Enrolment Statistics Singapore 2017
160 preschool centers have opened in the past 3 years & enrollments are increasing per year, this is a great indicator of pre-school effectiveness in Singapore.