Have you visited Singapore's last remaining Hakka ancestral hall?
Do you know that the Home Ownership for the People Scheme was launched in Commonwealth in 1964? (where former PM Lee Kuan Yew took iconic photographs)
My Holland Village traces the evolution of Singapore's first satellite town from a rubber plantation in the 1870s to a bustling military village in the 1930s and a renowned expatriate centre and tourist attraction in the 2000s.
Participants will hear a first-hand account of this transformation from colourful figures in Holland Village and Commonwealth and get up-close to stall holders in Commonwealth and Tanglin Halt markets and hawker centres.
Who should come?
- Everyone is welcome to participate in this exciting tour!
- However, this heritage tour requires participants to walk for four hours long.
Duration & Meeting Place
- Approximate Duration: 4 hours (8.30am to 12.30pm)
- Language: English
- Please arrive at Holland Village MRT Station Exit A (Ticket Concourse Level) 15 minutes before 8.30am. The tour guides will be wearing orange crown T-shirts with a conspicuous "Guide" at the back of the shirt.
- The tour will proceed rain or shine. We have never cancelled our tours in the past 10 years, except for LKY.
- The tour will end at Tanglin Halt Neighbourhood Centre, a stone's throw from Commonwealth MRT Station.
What to bring?
- Wear comfortable clothes and suitable shoes for a 4 hour long walk
- Bring along your headphones (compatible with headphone jack). These headphones are harmful to our environment and we are levying S$2 per headphone to encourage all participants to bring theirs.
- Bring along insect repellent, EZ-Link card, a bottle of water and an umbrella
- Asthmatic individuals are encouraged to bring their inhaler.
- By agreeing to participate in the tour, every participant will be responsible for any injury, loss of damage due to careIessness of other actions on his/her part or that of children under his/her charge.
- It is compulsory for a parent/guardian to accompany any child of or under the age of 12. children under his/her charge.