Saint Andrew's Cathedral is an Anglican cathedral in Singapore, the country's largest cathedral. It is the Cathedral church of the Anglican Diocese of Singapore and the mother church of her 26 parishes and more than 55 congregations here. The logo of the Cathedral is the St Andrew's Cross. This cathedral church also the oldest Anglican house of worship.
The land on which the cathedral stands was allocated by Sir Stamford Raffles in 1822 for the siting of an Anglican church, however, construction did not begin until funds were raised by the community in 1834. The church was named Saint Andrew after the patron saint of Scotland in honour of the Scottish community who had donated to the building fund.
The first Saint Andrew's Church was designed by George Drumgoole Coleman in the neo-classical style. The foundation stone was laid on 9 November 1835, and the building constructed by 1836. The first church service was conducted on 18 June 1837 by the first chaplain, Reverend Edmund White, and the church was consecrated on 10 September 1838 by Bishop Daniel Wilson of Calcutta.
After complaints that the church resembled a "Town Hall a College or an Assembly Room", a spire was added by John Turnbull Thomson in 1842. The spire however was built without a lightning conductor installed, and the church suffered two lightning strikes in 1845 and 1849. It was then declared unsafe and closed in 1852, and subsequently demolished in 1855
The construction of a second church was initiated by the then governor William Butterworth. Colonel Ronald MacPherson, the Executive Engineer and Superintendent of convicts, designed the new church in the Gothic Revival style. The tower was originally designed to be twice the height of the built tower and without a spire, however during the construction, it was found that foundation may not support such a heavy structure, and a lighter spire was used instead. The plan was also simplified so that it may be more easily built by the Indian convict labourers commonly used in building construction in early Singapore. John Bennet was the engineer responsible for the construction. After MacPherson was transferred to Malacca, the completion of the building was overseen by Major John F. A. McNair, John Bennett and W. D. Bayliss.
The Rt Rev. Dr Daniel Wilson, Lord Bishop of Calcutta, laid the foundation stone on 4 March 1856, and the building was completed in 1861. The first service was held on 1 October 1861. Dr George Cotton, who succeeded Bishop Wilson, had the honour of consecrating the church on 25 January 1862.
The Saint Andrew's Mission was initiated on 25 June 1856, and the first Anglican evangelical outreach in Singapore was launched from the church
In 1869, the church was transferred from the Diocese of Calcutta to the Diocese of Labuan and Sarawak. In 1870, Archdeacon John Alleyne Beckles consecrated it as the Cathedral Church of the United Diocese.
The Revere Bell was replaced by a peal of bells in 1889. The Revere Bell is currently placed in the National Museum of Singapore. The Cathedral is owned by the Synod of the Diocese of Singapore, and the first Anglican bishop, The Right Reverend J. Ferguson-Davie, was appointed in 1909. In 1942, shortly before the fall of Singapore to the Japanese, the cathedral served as an emergency hospital. A Memorial Hall dedicated to those who died in the Second World War was added in 1952.
The north and south transepts of the cathedral was originally built as porches for carriages. Both transepts have been extended to provide halls, meeting rooms and offices – the North Transept in 1952, the South Transept 1983.
Saint Andrew's Cathedral was gazetted as a national monument on 28 June 1973.
An archaeological excavation was held on its grounds in 2004 by the National University of Singapore.
For congregants, this church run many types of Services in various languages such as English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Hokian, Indonesian, Filipino, Myanmar. Sunday School are available for young children. All our worship venues are handicap-access friendly.
City Hall EW13/NS25; Esplanade CC3
St. Andrew's Cathe - Stop ID 04167: 1N / 2N / 3N / 4N / 5N / 6N / 61 / 124 / 145 / 166 / 174 / 174e / 197 / NR1 / NR2 / NR5 / NR6 / NR7 / NR8
Opp Peninsula Plaza - Stop ID 04168: 32 / 51 / 63 / 80 / 195 / 851 / 961 / 961C
St. Andrew's Cathe - Stop ID 02031: 130