Sri Mariamman Temple is the oldest Hindu temple in Singapore. Built in 1827, Mariamman Kovil or Kling Street Temple as it was popularly known then was constructed for worship by immigrants from the Nagapatnam and Cuddalore districts of South India. The temple is dedicated to Goddess Mariamman, known for her power in curing epidemic illnesses and diseases.
Located in the heart of Chinatown, the temple’s ornamental tower entrance or gopuram, has been a landmark to generations of Hindu worshippers and Singaporeans alike.
The building of Sri Mariamman Temple was the inspiration of Mr Naraina Pillai, a clerk with the British East India Company in Penang. Mr Pillai is known to have accompanied Sir Stamford Raffles (Founder of Singapore) on his second visit to the island in 1819. The East India Company’s original allotment of land for a Hindu Temple was along Telok Ayer Street. However, as it had no convenient source of fresh water needed for rituals, Colonel William Farquhar (appointed the first British Resident and Commandant of Singapore), allowed Mr Pillai to occupy an alternative plot near what is today’s Stamford Canal in 1821. Due to changes in colonial town planning, the Stamford Canal site was not made available. The South Bridge site where the temple currently stands (in the Chinatown area) was finally granted to Mr Pillai in 1823.
By 1827 a temple structure made of wood and attap was built at South Bridge Road. “Sinna Amman” a small deity of Sri Mariamman was installed by Mr Naraina Pillai in 1827 when the temple was first built. It is an interesting fact that this deity can be found in the main sanctum of the present day temple.
In 1843, a building made of plaster and brick was put up for the first time. It was only in 1962, one hundred and nineteen years later that a new temple structure was developed complete with intricate sculptural works reminiscent of temple architecture in India. The original gopuram (grand tower entrance) was constructed in the late 1800’s but did not contain much ornamental works. It was rebuilt in the 1930s and repaired and restored with elaborate proliferation of sculptures in the 1960s. In the last hundred years, the original temple structure under went several redevelopment phases.
The temple’s historical records do not show of any kumbabishegam (consecration) ceremony having been conducted prior to the first one which was held in June 1936. The second kumbabishegam was held 12 years later on in June 1949. Following this, kumbabishegams were held on 6th June 1971, 6th September 1984 and 19 May 1996.
The main festival celebrated at Sri Mariaman temple is Theemithi (Fire walking ceremony) held annually in October/ November. The Thimithi (Tamil: தீமிதி Kundam) or firewalking ceremony is a Hindu festival originating in Tamil Nadu, South India that is celebrated during the month of Aipasi (or Aippasi) of the Tamil calendar. This occurs between the Gregorian calendar months of October and November. The fire-walking ceremony is in honour of Draupati Amman, who is considered the incarnation of Mariamman, and is practiced not only in India, but also in Sri Lanka, Singapore, Malaysia, Mauritius, Réunion, South Africa and other countries with large South Indian populations.
In Singapore, the celebrations begin at Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple in Serangoon Road around 10pm and the priest leads the grand procession of people through the streets to Sri Mariamman Temple in South Bridge Road where the actual tīmiti takes place. The priest starts the tīmiti by walking through the pit filled with hot burning wood with a karakattam "sacred water-filled pot" on his head. He is followed by male devotees intent on fulfilling their personal promises and proving their faith. The devotees may include a minority of non-Indians and non-Hindus.
Other important festivals are Navarathiri and 1008 Sankabishegam.
open daily from 7am – 12pm and 6pm – 9pm
Closest MRT: Chinatown DT19 / NE4 - Telok Ayer DT18
Opp Sri Mariamman Tp - Stop ID 05189: 61 / 166 / 197
Opp Hong Lim Cplx - Stop ID 05199 : 51 / 63 / 124 / 174 / 174e / 186 / 851 / 961 / 961C / 970
Maxwell Rd FC - Stop ID 05269: 80 / 145
New Bridge Ctr - Stop ID 05039: 2 / 12 / 33 / 54 / 63 / 124 / 143 / 147 / 190 / 851 / 961 / 961C / 970 / CT8 / CT18