Do you know that the first HDB flats, first branch library and polyclinic are located in Queenstown?
My Tanglin Halt Heritage Tour traces the evolution of Queenstown as Singapore's first satellite town. The tour visits landmarks such as the first HDB flats along Stirling Road, the former Malayan railways and black & white bungalows at Wessex estate.
Participants will hear first-hand accounts of the charming neighbourhood from long time residents in Tanglin Halt and Stirling Road, a lifeguard at Queenstown Sports Complex, and librarians from Queenstown Public Library.
Level of Difficulty: 1.5/5
Who should come?
- Everyone is welcome to participate in this tour!
- However, this heritage tour requires participants to walk for four hours long and trek some hilly terrain.
Duration & Meeting Place
- Approximate Duration: 4 hours (8.30am to 12.30pm)
- Language: English
- Please arrive at Queenstown MRT Station (Exit A - Next to 7-11 outlet) 15 minutes before 8.30am. The tour guides will be wearing yellow crown T-shirts with a conspicuous "Guide" at the back of the shirt.
- The tour will proceed rain or shine. We have never cancelled our tours in the past 10 years, except for LKY.
- The tour will end at Tanglin Halt Neighbourhood Centre, a stone's throw from Commonwealth MRT Station.
What to bring?
- Wear comfortable clothes and suitable shoes for a 4 hour long walk
- Bring along your headphones (compatible with headphone jack). These headphones are harmful to our environment and we are levying S$2 per headphone to encourage all participants to bring theirs.
- Bring along insect repellent, EZ-Link card, a bottle of water and an umbrella
- Asthmatic individuals are encouraged to bring their inhaler.
- By agreeing to participate in the tour, every participant will be responsible for any injury, loss of damage due to careIessness of other actions on his/her part or that of children under his/her charge.
- It is compulsory for a parent/guardian to accompany any child of or under the age of 12. children under his/her charge.