Apply for a Work Permit for a Foreign Domestic Worker in Singapore

You can apply for a Work Permit for a foreign domestic worker (FWD) either on your own or through an employment agency.

You also need to take certain steps to prepare for your worker's arrival.

At a glance

Who can apply: Employer, sponsor, or authorized employment agent (EA).

How much it costs:
When you submit the application: $35 for each pass
When you get the pass issued: $35 for each pass

How long it takes
FDW eService: within 1 week, unless more information is required.
Application form: within 3 weeks for most cases.

Steps for applying

Employer or employment agent (EA)
Submit an application: In-principle approval or rejection letter
Prepare for FDW's arrival: Security bond, insurance, etc.
Get the permit issued: Temporary Work Permit
Receive the card: Work Permit card

Register fingerprints and photo (if required): Acknowledgment of card delivery

Related eServices

Apply, issue, renew, extend, cancel and reinstate Work Permit
Check card delivery status
Make an appointment
more eServices and forms


Check with the FDW’s embassy on whether there are additional requirements for her to leave her countries, such as a visa or overseas government letter.

If you are hiring a second FDW, you need to meet the criteria.

If you are hiring a transfer FDW, find out what you need to do.

If you are married, you and your spouse can combine your incomes when applying for a Work Permit.

Low-income employers or senior citizens living alone may be able to apply under a special scheme.

You can consider part-time help with household chores as an alternative to hiring a helper.

Source: Ministry of Manpower



Related Articles

The Best Expense Card for your Helper

The Best Expense Card for your Helper

JiPay’s founding mission is to bring domestic work into the cashless economy. We are launching JiPay with the first dedicated card for helpers to make purchases on behalf of their employers. We will be following our expense card with a … Continue reading

Maid Agencies in Singapore

Maid Agencies in Singapore

Whether you need a part-time, full-time or live-in maid/helper, make sure you follow Singapore’s strict regulations about hiring a foreign domestic worker. Before hiring, consider hiring via an agency not or at least not overcharging the helpers, some of them … Continue reading

How to cancel a Work Permit for a Foreign Domestic Worker in Singapore

How to cancel a Work Permit for a Foreign Domestic Worker in Singapore

You must cancel your helper’s Work Permit if she no longer works for you or when her Work Permit expires. Once cancelled, please cut the Work Permit card in half and discard it to prevent misuse. At a glance When … Continue reading

Employer’s Guide for FDW

Employer’s Guide for FDW

This guide aims to help you build a positive working relationship with your foreign domestic worker (FDW). It includes information on rest days, well-being, salary, and other matters. Rest days and well-being Guidelines for an FDW’s rest days and well-being, … Continue reading

Posted in Basics, House Management, INFO Website, Maid/Helper, Permanent | Tagged | Posted on March 1, 2021
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.